Monday, June 14, 2010

landlocked

Austin has never seen the ocean. Now, wait. That can’t be right. Can it? We live in Southern California for crying out loud! I must be forgetting something, some time when we went. He’ll be four years old a week from today. We did see Puget Sound when we were in Seattle two years ago, but that’s not the same. I’ll have to ask Dan if I’m forgetting. I must be forgetting.

We live inland. It’s about a 90 minute drive to the beach. Longer if we get picky about which beach we go to. And I will do just about anything to avoid leaving my little valley. Freeways scare the crap out of me. Do you know how fast those people drive? And how many cars there are out there? It amazes me that more people don’t die out there. Sitting in their little metal boxes, hurling themselves toward one another as if they are immortal. Fuck, I hate cars.

The beach. Right. Sorry.

So, I think we need to go. I don’t know how soon. But we need to go. To be honest, I’m a little afraid. That kid loves the water, and he doesn’t have the sense to be afraid. He may head for the horizon, find a pod of dolphins, grab ahold and never be heard from again.

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Well, it would make a great story!

Mwa said...

We don't go to the seaside enough either. But then we went the other day and neither of the children were really impressed at all.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I wouldn't drive on the highways in California. NO WAY.

michelle said...

The ocean is like opium for kids. You all should go.