Monday, May 17, 2010

Oh, the Reads You Can Read!

Between work being crazy and my class nearing its end and the kids and and and…

Let’s just say I’ve been busy, and will continue to be for the next four weeks for sure. But I have to get this written out before I forget.

I read to Austin every night at bedtime, just as I did when Maya was his age. And every night it’s the same. Green Eggs and Ham. The Cat in the Hat. Oh, the Thinks You Can Think! And then maybe a Horton book as a bonus. These books are at his request, mind you. It used to be all Thomas the Tank Engine books. I always turn the book toward him enough for him to see the pictures and get familiar with what the words look like. And for a while now, there has been one or two spots in each book where he would take it from me and really study the pictures for a minute. Kitty O’Sullivan Krauss, with her big balloon swimming pool over her house…

But on Saturday night, he took Green Eggs and Ham from me right away and started reciting a line or two off of every page. And then the same with The Cat in the Hat. And Think Think. Now, he’s not reading, but memorizing. But that is a critical step in learning to read. And he didn’t memorize the whole the book word for word, but the lines he said were all on the correct page – the one that he was looking at.

I was so stinking proud of him!

It happened again on Sunday, and I was still proud, but I sorta just wanted to read the book myself so he would fall asleep already! But I let him do it. Hopefully he’ll let me read to him again, someday… (Insert deep mommy sigh here.)

4 comments:

Sarcastic Bastard said...

They grow up fast, don't they?

Love you. Have a great week.

SB

Mwa said...

So sweet! If you want to read to him again, difficult long sentences are the answer. Or books with no pictures. (Evil fixes I have used. ;-) )

Cool thing to learn though!

Ms. Moon said...

You made me remember one of my very first memories. It was of me, pretending to read and telling my father that yes, I could read, and he gave me the book and I either had it memorized or else just made it all up, but I remember that so clearly. It was a book about Micky Mouse. One of the very old ones. Of course.
I can't wait until my Owen lets me read to him. Now he'll only tolerate it for a few seconds and then he must chew the book.
He'll get there.
And your boy will be reading before you know it.

Petit fleur said...

Congrats to Austin and his proud momma! Another milestone.... sigh indeed.

I think Austin and Harley would be great friends. I hope our paths physically cross some day.
Peace,
pf