Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Great Window Project of 2010 - part 2, and The Bed and The Parasol

So, a while back we took a window (actually two windows) out of the dining room to put in a sliding door. We knew then that we wanted to reuse one of the windows in the master bedroom, on the outside wall shown below, but we couldn't get to it right away.

Well, it's mostly done! Just some finish work to be done on the window sill inside.

I haven't gotten a good picture of it yet from the inside, but you can see the edge of it on the right side of the picture below.

All that light doesn't keep Austin from snoozing when he really needs it. Meanwhile, Maya is back in her old room, the one that was mine and Dan's while my MIL lived with us.

The color theme of her room is what I refer to as Rainbow Explosion. I had big plans for redecorating with a new color scheme, but best laid plans, and all that jazz...

Anyway, that bed has been around since forever. I was mine from the age of 2 until Dan and I moved in together. Before that it was in my great-grandparents' house on a farm outside of Trinidad, Colorado. My great-aunt Mary still lives in that house and I am ashamed to say that I have exactly zero photos of that house, even though I've stayed in it twice.

But back to the bed. When my grandparents brought it to Oregon for me from Colorado, strapped to the top of their car Okie style, it was painted cream and blue. When I was Maya's age, my mom and I took it upon ourselves to strip it to expose the metal, and we weren't too careful about getting the blue out of the nooks and crannies on the medalions joining the rails on the headboard and footboard.

Above: shell detail with a little blue paint remaining; Below: siderail detail.

One or three of my grandpa's sibblings probably slept on this bed about 90 years ago. I imagine that if Dan goes before me, it will be my bed when I am 90... or whatever age I stick it out til.

.::.

I got up to answer the door and my vintage paper parasol came in the mail! Here's a picture from the etsy listing.

I love the look of the spines on the underside, so I plan to hang it (open) from the ceiling. You can faintly see the painted flowers through the bottom side, so we won't miss anything by seeing only the underside.

Along with the parasol, my latest CD order came in. I got both Elisabeth Williamson's and Lon Williamson's CDs from http://www.cdbaby.com/ (as seen/heard on http://www.blessourhearts.net/) and I can't wait to give them a listen during dinner!

Well, I best figure out what to feed these kids for dinner now that I think of it. Take care out there!

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Oh- Stephanie- you will have light! And Lon and Lis's CD's will bring you more light. I promise and I swear.
I, too, love the parasols and have some in my house in odd places. Aren't they beautiful?
Let me know what you think of the music. I hope you love it.

Ms. Moon said...

And thanks for linking the place to order their CD's. You know- every sale helps them. They are NOT rich musicians, but people who work like demons in many fields every day to just make it work. Meanwhile being the most loving, generous people you can imagine.

Petit fleur said...

Wow!! Yay for you guys! It feels so great to actually finish a project.

Also exciting to get cool stuff delivered! You will dig on the CDs. Lon and Lis are the real deal.

Loving that parasol AND the super cool bed frame. We don't have many heirlooms in our fam. You are lucky to have something like that to enjoy and pass on to your kiddos.

Enjoy all the newness!
pf

Mwa said...

You've been working so hard! I love that you got the rooms in order so soon. I would procrastinate.