Monday, March 1, 2010

This just in: Breathing is good for you!

This post is likely to be scattered, to say the least. Sometime around midmorning on Friday I started feeling mildly dizzy and light-headed. I still went out with my mom, but it kept happening throughout the day. Saturday it continued and I was starting to feel very sick to my stomach, but I had to go to class because we had our first test. I survived, but by the end of the day I was pushing pretty hard to get done what had to be done.

Sunday started out pretty much the same, and I wanted so badly to just lie down and will the world to go away, but we had to do the beginning of the month Costco run. By dinner time I thought for sure I was ready to throw up. Dan told me I was probably just hungry. I got through dinner and bedtime without losing it and fell into the sleep of the dead. Sadly, it was not to last. Just before 2 AM I woke up and when I wake up at that time I know I have to get up for a while. There’s just no going back to sleep otherwise. I made my way into the kitchen where I suddenly had the urge to take a deep breath.

And right then it occurred to me. I had been holding my breath. I had been holding my breath since Friday morning. My abs were in a knot. That’s why my stomach was upset. And I wasn’t getting enough oxygen. That’s why my head was all wonky. In the few hours since then, every time I start to get that feeling in my head, I pause and take a deep breath. It’s doing a world of good! (Big surprise! Breathing is good for you!)

This is where I confess that I have not gone to yoga since Thanksgiving. I have no good excuses. I need to go back. Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s a good idea to go back today. I need my head on at least a little straighter first. And while the teacher will certainly remind the class to breathe, I am still going to wait a bit. I know for a fact that I am able to hold my breath during yoga, even though that is exactly what you should not do.

So. Walking. I am unable to hold my breath while walking. I’ve tried. Invariably my will to live takes over and I let go and begin to breathe normally again. I’ve walked once so far this morning, including going up and down some stairs. So far so good. I hope to get out again this afternoon.

Why? Why would I be holding my breath? Stress? I guess it might have been the test I had on Saturday, but if so, why didn’t I feel better right after? Money? I got paid on Friday. My MIL? Uh, no comment.

6 comments:

Mwa said...

You. Me. Sisters.

I hold my breath and sometimes I don't notice for days either. I didn't know other people did that.

You. Me. Wow.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I am having anxiety issues currently, too. They usually hit about 3:00 o'clock in the morning. I feel your pain.

Love you.

Petit fleur said...

Stress and anxiety will do that... You also may be a naturally shallow breather. I am one, and I'm told it's not very healthy, that I should try to breath more deeply and evenly.

Glad you noticed and are back to breathing.
Hang in there,
pf

Ms. Moon said...

Try to do a savasanah a few times a day- five minutes on your back, exhaling and inhaling. Can't hurt.

adrienne said...

oh, dear. i do this one, too. then my kids remind me; 'take a breath, mommy!'

xo

Bethany said...

I've never heard of this, but it seems so amazing that you cured yourself by breathing. Wow. Love this post. Remembering to breathe is important. I'm glad you're walking and breathing. Keep at it dear girl.