Tuesday, March 30, 2010

scene, repeat

Maya: Mom
Me: Yes
Maya: I have to ask you something.
Me: I’m listening.
Maya: I want a bunny.
Me: NO
Maya: But I want [indecipherable ranting begins]
Me: I’m not buying a goddamn rabbit; there are thousands of the flea-infested buggers outside.
Maya: But…
Me: I have to go to work.

.::.

Maya: Mom
Me: what
Maya: I have to tell you something
Me: YOU JUST SAID *MOM* AND I SAID *WHAT*. YOU DON’T HAVE TO SAY THAT YOU HAVE TO TELL ME SOMETHING.
Maya: Mom
Me: …
Maya: I want a pool
Me: So do I but I can’t afford it.
Maya: Mom
Me: yes
Maya: Can I go swimming at Lenny’s house?
Me: It’s 60 degrees outside!!!
Maya: please
Me: no
Maya: [leaves room sobbing]

.::.

Maya: Mom
Me: yes, honey
Maya: I want a horse.
Me: Horses cost a lot of money and we’re not set up for one. We’d have to have a shelter built and a paddock and…
Maya: [Friend’s name] has a horse and so does [other friend].
Me: That’s nice.
Maya: I want a horse.
Me: Maya, you are not allowed to say the words *I want* anymore today.
Maya: [leaves room sobbing]

.::.

Me: Maya, quit playing with your dad's phone.
Maya: I need a new phone.
Me: You got a phone for Christmas and it broke. You got a new one and you lost it. I'm not paying for another phone.
Maya: [leaves room sobbing]

.::.

Maya: Mom
Me: yes?
Maya: Can I go outside and ride my bike?
Me: [silently thanks god] Yes, sweety.

6 comments:

Mwa said...

That's a lot of wanting for one day.

Isn't it amazing how they do go on repeat, like you say? Mine had the "I don't like that" on repeat today. Also charming.

Ms. Moon said...

Children. It helps to remember that their brains are not fully developed.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

This is cute, Steph. Poor you. Girls are a pain. I certainly was.

All This Trouble... said...

Why does this make me so happy?

Petit fleur said...

I know exactly how she feels! I never get anything I want either!! heh heh!

xo pf

Bethany said...

ah such patience you have. love your different responses.
great dialog.
and SO glad you said no to the rabbit!!!!