Monday, March 1, 2010

the mama's mama

My mama turned 61 this past Friday. For those of you keeping track of that kind of thing, that makes her a Pisces. My husband is also a Pisces. Take from that what you will.

So, in honor of my mama’s day, I took half the day off from work and took her out to lunch and then we went shopping. Just the two of us. That is the kind of thing we used to do ALL THE TIME. I was an only child and she was a single mother and we’ve always gotten along very well. (Mostly because I’m afraid to piss her off.) We was like peas and carrots.

But since she got married and I started having kids, we haven’t had very much one-on-one time.

Anyway, we did have a good time Friday afternoon, and then we went out to dinner with the men-folk and children in tow, followed by cake and ice cream at my house. Dear god, I thought I would never eat again. Uggh. Too. Much. Food.

Believe it or not, my mom has changed more in the last 16 years than I have. She has rediscovered religion and gone over to the dark side. That is to say, she has become a Republican. And in spite of the fact that we barely agree about anything anymore (she no longer believes in evolution, or that humans are contributing to global warming, WTF?) I still think I know her better than just about anyone else in the whole wide world.

Happy Birthday, mom.

3 comments:

Mwa said...

Wow. She's gone all out for the bad side!
But I know about how she stays your mother. So happy birthday to her!

(I'm pisces, too, so what does THAT say about you? :-) )

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Steph,
Glad you have a good relationship with your ma. I do too. A lot of folks sure as hell don't.

Ms. Moon said...

Me for one.