Monday, March 8, 2010

Distance

I’m still walking! Okay, it’s only been a week since I got back into it regular (it had been hit-and-miss) but still. I’ve taken to kicking it up a notch and getting the hell off campus. Using Google Maps, I look at the distances of routes through the local residential area. And all I can say is -- I am one slow motherfucker. I really need to get my mile time shorter if I’m going to get any decent distances on my breaks.

I may even buy some decent shoes. I’ve always just walked in my crocs, but the soles wear out a lot faster on crocs than on real walking shoes, so it might be worth the investment to not trash my everyday shoes.

You know the real problem with walking? Weather. Summer is already lingering on my mental horizon, taunting me with the fact that no matter how good of a routine I get into the heat will come and kick my ass. I’ll have to quit walking sometime around the first of July and it won’t be cool enough to walk again reliably until October. But why the hell am I thinking about that now?! Because I am a negative minded dumbass, that’s why.

It was pretty windy (maybe 15 mph) when I walked today and I just love that. There’s something about wind that makes me feel ALIVE. It’s probably just electricity or positively (negatively?) charged ions or some such something or other. Of course when I get back inside my hair looks like I stuck my finger in a light socket.

Holy shit, this is a boring post. Sorry.

.::.

About 3 miles down the road from my house, there is a Senior Living place. They have apartments and a cafeteria and nice gardens and things of that nature. They are set up for Independent Living as well as Assisted Living and so forth.

I don’t blog about it much, but my 77 year-old mother-in-law has lived with us for about a year and a half now. She and my father-in-law moved in when his health was deteriorating quickly back in the fall of 2008 and he died just a couple-few weeks later. Now, I love my mother-in-law, I do. But she is kind of driving me crazy. And I worry that being in such close quarters will eventually do irreparable damage to our relationship. Not to mention the fact that my kids are sharing a room. A 13 year-old girl would really rather not share a room with her 3 year-old brother. Really really really. Really.

So, I think I am going to figure out how to bring up the idea of her moving to the Senior place down the street. She is very social and they have activities and she could make friends. It really would be good for her. I think she will say it is too expensive, but the cost of the rent includes all the utilities, housekeeping AND meals. Shit, I might move there and leave her in my house. But damn it, I like my house.

Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh gosh, good luck with MIL. I think that sounds like a much better plan.
I don't find your walking story boring, I found it exhilerating, love your wind description, and inspiring and exciting. Keep walking. Don't worry about the hot. That is a long ways away, and you know what, you might feel differently then. I mean you might be able to figure out a way to walk in the evening when it cools down. Or find an indoor place to get your exercise in (ACed mall). Don't give up hope. I'm really happy you're walking and that it's making you feel good and adventurous. Yay Steph!!!!!!!!!!!

Mwa said...

Oh, yes, good luck! That would be a really good solution. And it would be good for your daughter to get her room back.
I liked the walking story, too. I felt I was there a little.

Petit fleur said...

Great job on the walking and mapping and etc!!! That's awesome you!!

Get the shoes. Do it.

Good luck with MIL... They are a tricky sort.

xoxo Good good luck and happy day!

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Good luck, my dear. Touchy subject that.

It's great that you're getting out there and walking.

Love,

SB

All This Trouble... said...

luck!!!

::crosses fingers::