Thursday, March 25, 2010

black and white

I just watched The Blind Side last night. I can’t quite decide how I feel about it. If you don’t know, it’s about a well-off white family in Memphis that takes in an essentially homeless black teenage boy who goes on to become a star football player. Sandra Bullock was definitely great in it, obviously. And Quinton Aaron is beautiful, both physically and spiritually.

The story is based on a true one so, in a way, you can’t say that it’s the old Hollywood formula of black and/or native people needing to be "saved" by white people (something Avatar got some flack over). But I think it does reinforce the mentality that black people are somehow incapable of getting their shit together. At least poor black people. The flip side of that is: of course this kid would have had a hard time getting his shit together on his own. His mother was a drug addict and he was surrounded by violence.

But what if it had been a well-off black family that took him in instead? Would the story still get made into a movie? Would it have gotten as much attention as this one did?

Or what if it had been a poor white boy that this white family took in? Is that still interesting?

Or, now here's a CRAZY thought, what if a black family took in a white boy?

My guess is each of these different combinations would be interesting (and this movie was certainly worth watching). And each might tell us something different about ourselves.

6 comments:

Bethany said...

great commentary, you're right. i had similar thoughts but wasn't able to put them into words like you so perfectly did.

Petit fleur said...

Interesting thoughts.

I was wondering whether it was going to be a cheese fest, even though it was based in truth... then Sandra won the Oscar, and I do love her, and the idea of the story (any people helping others to be successful...), so I'm glad to hear it's good. I will watch it on Netflix!

Ms. Moon said...

You make great points and I agree with them. So many layers to the onion of our culture, especially as applies to race.
Sometimes I just don't even know what I think about things.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Steph. It is definitely on my list to watch.

Love you tons. Have a great weekend.

SB

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I forgot to tell you that I watched this over the weekend. I really enjoyed it.

Love,

SB

Elizabeth said...

I'm with you -- I found the movie entertaining and it's certainly an inspirational story, but these sorts of stories always make me wince. Growing up in the south like I did and feeling distinctly like an outsider, mainly because I'm not FROM the south -- well I can not entirely relate. I did read that book The Help and it REALLY made me wince. It's insufferable, actually.

Thanks, lately, for your kind comments on my blog!