Friday, February 19, 2010

Esc

I’ve always described my office as a morgue with keyboards. That’s all you can hear all day, the tap-tap-tap of able-fingered bodies.

But I have moments here and there that make me think this is exactly where I belong. Don’t question the Universe, Stephanie; you are exactly where It wants you to be. Accept it and you will be a much happier person.

I don’t know what the hell I’m getting at, and I know better than to blog about The Job. Lest I want to get fired. Don’t tempt me. I just get so freaking restless sometimes. LET!ME!OUT!!!

I think the guy that mows the lawns on the HUGE riding mower has the best job on campus. Too bad he has such a crappy paycheck. And there’s the rub. There ain’t no going back. I can’t make less money. Can I?

Burn out. Boredom. It’s dangerous stuff. People do stupid things when they’re bored and trapped.

If you’re bored then you’re boring. I think I first heard that little jewel from my sixth grade teacher. She was a crazy old (old-school) lady. She went to work the day after her husband died. She had high expectations and was incredibly demanding, especially where language skills were concerned. If I have one ounce of skill in technical writing I credit her.

I was in massage school when I got pregnant with Maya. I was on the fast-track to new age hippie-dom. But I found myself in need of real insurance, and that meant going to a real school to stay on my mom’s insurance. An introductory computer class was a practical choice in college. I really enjoyed that class too. So I took another. And another. Next thing I knew I was getting recommended for a job by one of my instructors. Like, a real job. My first grown-up job. And here I still am, nearly 10 years later.

And here I have roots. Job. Family. House. And I don’t commute. I won’t commute. Not with a fox. Not in a box. I will not commute, Sam-I-Am.

I won’t make it to retirement age though, will I? I would surely go crazy by then. Twenty-three more years. I can’t even think it. And there’s no knowing what will happen. The area is growing. The college is growing. Anything can happen. Maybe I will get fired for blogging. I can dream. (SARCASM!!!)

I’ll go read some Demotivators. They always cheer me up.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh man, I wrote a nice long comment and it got sucked up.
Love your title.
Love your writing.
I totally hear you, though it does sound right for now. Colleges are pretty cool places to work, no?
Thanks for the link.
Sorry I sound like a robot now, but other post was better.
I'm dreading getting on the treadmill and taking it out on you.
XO

adrienne said...

should i stay or should i go?

da da da da da da da da....

Steph(anie) said...

Beth, yes, the college is a pretty cool place to work. About a week ago I went to take a walk around campus to get some air and stretch my legs and there was a music student practicing his saxophone in one of the courtyards. It's the little things like that that I really like. I meant to blog about it, but lost track somehow.

Adrienne, if I go there will be trouble.

Mwa said...

I took a pay cut, and it was the best thing I ever did. It has to be feasible, though. Money is no substitute for happiness.