Tuesday, February 2, 2010

counting down

Geek alert. I am a big fan of Hayao Miyazaki’s films. They are sometimes scary, always quirky and often endearing. My hands down favorite is My Neighbor Totoro, and I wager a guess that I’m not alone in that amongst his fans.

He is sometimes referred to as the Walt Disney of Japan, which I guess is equal parts insult and compliment. He is incredibly influential and much more daring than Disney.

Kiki’s Delivery Service was the first of his films that I saw, and I still enjoy it a great deal, but it is probably one of the least weird of his films. Further toward the weird end of the spectrum are Howl’s Moving Castle and Spirited Away which is excellent.

One month from today, Ponyo will be released on DVD in the US. And yes, I am counting the days and will buy it the day it comes out. I wanted to see it in theater, but as I’ve said once or twice before, I don’t get to the theater very often.

These DVDs aren’t cheap, but every once in a while I pick one up used on Amazon. When I’m feeling really spendy I’ll buy one or two new. (I actually paid about $50 for Totoro as it had been discontinued by the manufacturer for some time. And yes, that is about 10 times what I usually pay for a used DVD.) I have every intention of getting all of the films he has directed that I can on DVD as time and money allow. You gotta have priorities, man.

3 comments:

May said...

DTG and I were just discussing these movies the other day. We love them too.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I've never seen these. Will try and get a hold of one.

Love you, Steph. Have a good one.

SB

Petit fleur said...

Priorities, yes. Gotta have em.