Friday, January 15, 2010

where this will lead no one can say

So I was signed up for this class. It’s a class I’ve been meaning to take for some time. It fits into my line of work, and would take me one step closer to finishing a degree. What a thought! A degree! I only started college 14 and a half years ago.

The thought of this class was freaking me the fuck out. I was getting all stressed about it and it hadn’t even started yet. And you know what? I don’t want anything else in my life that freaks me out. I have enough of that. But there was this other class in the back of my mind. This other class sounded like fun, and had absolutely nothing to do with my current (snort) degree path. So, guess what? I dropped the class that was freaking me out and signed up for the fun one. I’m so excited! I bought the book and started reading it already! My usual M.O. is to stop reading all together about a week or so into the term, and somehow I still manage to finish some classes that way. I guess it’s just my stunning intellect. HA! But I’m reading this one before I even have to! Holy crap!

So, what is this fun class, you must be asking. Well, it is Introduction to Viticulture. Viticulture is the cultivation of grapes. This class is the first class of the Viticulture, Enology and Winery program.

Oh, hell, yes.

I mean really, first you have to go outside* and play in the dirt and water and sunshine and then, THEN, you make wine. Sounds like heaven on earth to me.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what this class will mean to me in the long run. I’m not planning on quitting my job to go down the road and work at a winery, but WHO KNOWS. You know? And I’m not planning on plowing under the acres of sagebrush between my house and my parent’s house to plant a vineyard, BUT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

If nothing else, it should be an interesting class. And if I take the second class, Introduction to Enology, then there’s wine tasting. Not that I can’t do that on my own, but still. How cool is that?

* The going outside bit is just in theory for now. This is a lecture class.

8 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I think you did what your very wise heart told you to do and I am proud of you.

Bethany said...

Oh Stephanie, this sounds so fun. Good for you. Follow your heart and the good feelings. This is exciting. Maybe you will share some with us too. I'm looking forward to it.

Darcy said...

For fun!!! Congratulations on plowing past the freaking you out class and feeding the soul instead!

Petit fleur said...

Grroooooooovy BABY!! Maybe they may even be able to teach you how to rid yourself of the evil GOPHER!

Keep us posted. (Me so punny!)
xo

Petit fleur said...

Ps Cool picture. Makes me want to go out and drink good wine and talk chatty drinking talk!

Steph(anie) said...

Ms. Moon - I dunno about wise, but thank you.

Bethany - I'm sure I'll be posting updates :)

Darcy - My soul needs all the help it can get.

PF - You better believe I'll be asking about gophers and the like. And that picture is pretty.

Mwa said...

I never got when I was at university that the fun classes will get you where you want to go. Eventually. In retrospect that is what they did. Don't worry too much about what this will bring you. Just let it happen and enjoy.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Wow, Steph. That would be a dangerous class for me to take. I'd be making my own wine left and right.

Good luck with it.

Love, SB.