Monday, January 4, 2010

Spoiler: everyone dies in these movies

I got on bit of a biopic kick over the last couple weeks. I finally, FINALLY, saw Public Enemies. I liked it! Some people (my mom, for instance) have a hard time sympathizing with a character like that, one that steals and kills, and I get that, but I still enjoyed the movie. I watched La Vie en Rose, also starring Marion Cotillard (she played Billie in Public Enemies and Edith Piaf in La Vie en Rose). It was very well made, but very sad. (I felt the same way about Walk the Line. I preferred Ray to Walk the Line.) Another one I watched recently was Sylvia. It’s one of those movies that you know the ending (the suicide of poet Sylvia Plath), but it still gets to you. I definitely sympathized with Sylvia.

I feel like I’m forgetting something, but oh well. Of these I would recommend Public Enemies the most, but it is very violent, so if you don’t like that kind of thing, don’t watch it. La Vie en Rose is subtitled (audio is French), so do with that what you will. Ray before Walk the Line. And Sylvia, well… don’t watch it if you’ve been eyeing the razor blades lately.

.::.

In addition, I have always always always loved Sweet Dreams. Although, again, depressing! Oh... and Cross Creek (about author Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings). I need to see that one again.

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I haven't seen one damn one of those movies except for Cross Creek. I should watch more movies.
You know you can visit MKR's house in Cross Creek? It's a state park now. I love it.

Steph(anie) said...

I would like to see that.

Petit fleur said...

If you like the drama/depressing sorts of movies you would LOVE "Night Mother" It's starring Ann Bankroft and Sissy Spacek. It's amazing, but very sad mostly... although I did giggle a couple of times.