Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Accident Prone

My sainted mother was taking out some trash on Monday and rolled her ankle on her gravel driveway. She landed with her knee on a pointy rock. [OUCH is right!] It didn’t put a hole in her jeans, but it did put a hole in her knee, a good enough hole to require stitches. The urgent care people x-rayed her ankle but not her knee!? I’m thinking it may actually need an MRI or something because she is so stiff and sore that the damage is probably tissue related [duh].

Anyway, I was SICK TO DEATH of her getting all the attention, so I gave my finger a good slice last night when I was cutting onions for dinner. Now, I’m not usually squeamish, but it was hot in the kitchen and I was hungry, and the site of that blood oozing and not stopping made me woozy enough to know I had to sit down, pronto. The hubs confiscated my knife and took over and the kids and dogs got all up in my grill to see what was going on. Long story short, I’m fine, but my mom is still using a cane.

I can tell she’s a little worried about what the fall means. See, she just turned 60 a couple months ago, and her older sister has developed quite a habit of eating shit and banging herself up good. I can see her mind thinking of that when I ask her how she’s doing.

What she doesn’t realize is that she can’t get old and fall apart. I won’t let her. I need her too much.

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

The older we get, the trickier gravity gets.
I hope your mom feels better soon. Ice! Elevate! Rest!

Steph said...

Ms. Moon - My mom don't know the meaning of rest :) we have to yell at her.

adrienne said...

oh, steph...

we ALL need our moms...dear, it's all over our posts these last few days.

but i think we're also doing a hole lot of mommying each other...

as ms. moon says, bless our hearts

Lady Lemon said...

Yikes! I hope you both have speedy recoveries!