Monday, May 4, 2009

What would Stephanie do?

In therapy this week I got some homework. Not homework really, just a suggestion, but it was one I liked. The idea is to write a list of characteristics of The Ideal Stephanie (me). You keep this list handy and whenever you don’t know how to handle a situation without falling into bad habits (for instance, being defensive) you ask yourself “what would a [blank] person do?”

So here is my first draft:

  • Considerate
  • Strong
  • Passionate
  • Responsible
  • Respectful

I think considerate and respectful might be redundant, but I don’t know which one I like better, so here they both are for now. Strong may be too vague, but I was trying to find the opposite of passive and/or defensive without saying assertive, because assertive doesn’t really mean anything to me on an emotional level. Plus it makes me think of that awkward scene in Fried Green Tomatoes when they have to look at their vajayjays in a mirror.

3 comments:

NannyGarcia said...

Fried Green Tomatoes = my favorite movie. It makes me SOB every.single.time.

Ms. Moon said...

I think you are all of those things. How about adding "empathetic" and "resourceful" to the list?

Steph said...

Ms. Garcia - that one and Steel Magnolias turn on the waterworks.

Ms. Moon - very good suggestions, it made me evaluate whether considerate was a good as empathetic and I came up with a no... and resourceful is something to be proud of. Speaking of proud, should I add humble? hmmmm...