Monday, May 18, 2009

Ciao Bella

Meet Isabella, the newest addition to our family. I went and picked her up from her other family on Saturday. Circumstances dictate that they must move from a nice house with a yard to an apartment, so Bella-Bella came to stay with us. She was SUPPOSED to be the kids’ dog. I never met anyone who loves critters as much as my kids. Me? I can go either way. They’re cute, but I don’t really love to clean up poop and pet hair makes me insane. But this here dog picked me. She follows me around the house, every step I take. Normally this would bother me. I like my space. But this dog is special. There’s something spiritual there. I’ve never experienced that with a pet. I’m not quite used to it yet, actually.

I can tell this will be a learning experience for me in other ways as well. I think I put patient on that list of mine. Well, be careful what you ask for. This dog is trying my patience, and therefore teaching me patience. This dog is an absolute gem around people. But other dogs? Not so much. She is VERY nervous around our three other dogs… two big beasties outside and one Shi Tzu inside (my MIL's). Bella is so nervous that she refuses to go potty. This is beginning to make ME nervous. Our biggest dog is especially intimidating. His bark is something like what you might hear at the gates of hell. He is really just a big puppy when he is with family, but he knows how to be a guard dog. I just hope everyone manages to get comfortable enough to relax and let her feel at home.

Wish us luck.

.::.

Update: She peed!!! I'm sooooo relieved. She probably feels better too. ;)

8 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

It may take a while, but I'll bet it will happen.

Steph said...

I hope so, Ms. Moon. I scolded Dusty, the Big Dog, for scaring her and he put on his big puppy-dog eyes and looked sorry. And Billy, the Shi Tzu, wants to be her friend, but she's too anxious. I tried to bridge that gap by showing him affection and talking to Bella, since she trusts me so much, but she's still holding back. Callie though, our only other girl and Queen of the Alpha Bitches is going to take the most time.

Ms. Moon said...

And you know what? You're right- some dogs are just really, really special creatures. Maybe Bella is meant to be YOUR dog.

Steph said...

Have you ever seen The Golden Compass? Each person has an animal "soul" that goes with them everywhere. I keep thinking about that now.

Bobbie Leigh said...

What a cutie! Glad she peed, one would think her bladder would explode. She's beautiful, and of course she is "for the kids". Uh huh...

Steph said...

Why Bobbie Leigh whatever are you saying? ;)

Cat said...

She is gorgeous!

Lady Lemon said...

What a pretty dog she is! Of course, I am a HUGE sucker for dogs, in general. But she really looks like a sweetheart.

I totally know what you mean about the intense connection that you can have with certain, special animals. Sounds like she did pick you. Those are usually the best pets of all!

One of my dogs "picked me" when he was a puppy. He was a lost, little, dirty thing and he wandered up to me in a friend's yard. Love at first site, I tell you. Well, on my part anyway.