Monday, March 16, 2009

Mariposa

My car was overtaken by monarch butterflies on Friday afternoon as they traveled northward. Literally hundreds fluttered like a living orange cloud around and over us as we sat at stop sign. By the time Austin and I got home, they were less concentrated, passing through the backyard one at a time or in small groups. I hollered for everyone to come outside.

My mother-in-law and I sat in the backyard pointing the buddhaflies out to each other as more and more passed through. My husband fired up the “tractor” [a ride-on mower with a small trailer] and took the kids all over the property we live on with my parents. As they lapped the field of sagebrush that separates mine and my mother’s house, the kids laughed and squealed as the single axle trailer bounced over the ruts in the dirt that were left by our last big rain and dried to a crust by the sun. I sat on the grass and momentarily considered the neo-pagan belief that Friday the 13th is a day of good fortune and a cause for celebration.

Saturday was my husband’s birthday and I planned a family day out, cleverly avoiding Garrison’s memorial celebration. It would have been too weird being there without Lori, and too awful the reason for Lori’s absence. So instead we went to Bass Pro Shops and Joe’s Crab Shack, and then came home for pie, cupcakes and ice cream. The old man turned 39 which means my mental planning for a big 40th barbeque bash begins… NOW!

I woke this morning to the sound of Stevie Wonder’s Superstition on the clock-radio. I had dreamt that we had been hunting poisonous butterflies while riding alligators bareback. Apparently if we had been touched on the skin by these butterfly wings, we would have been exposed to a fatal disease that could be transferred from human to human once contracted.

But why were we riding alligators?

4 comments:

Cat said...

i have never seen that many it sounds amazing

I'm the Momma said...

I LOVE butterflies! I would have loved to see them fluttering about...next time grab your camera and take a few shots for me!

Kristen said...

Mmmm...I can picture it vividly! Between yours and the Momma's wake up call this morning it is like I have been given a breath of fresh air on this St. Paddy's day morn'! Pure oxygen to the soul...thank you!! :-)

Maggie May said...

i want that to happen to me