Thursday, January 1, 2009

Mission (reprise)

I have something very important to share with you, my dear internet. I need to tell you about something that is very near and dear to my heart. I need to tell you about Mission Brand Whole-Wheat Burrito-Size Tortillas.

Stay with me here. The USDA RDA chart says we all need about 25 grams of fiber a day. I won't torture you with gory details about mine and my family's bowels [today], but let's suffice it to say that we NEED fiber in this house. These tortillas have no less than 21 grams of fiber each. Twenty-one grams of fiber. Each.

I'll let that soak in for a minute.

Me: [chuckling] Soak in. Fiber doesn't soak in.

Okay?

What that means is that with one Mission Brand Whole-Wheat Burrito-Size Tortilla, you've consumed 84% of the fiber that the USDA people think you need in a day, and probably 75% more than most Americans actually get in a day.

I have known people to use Mission Brand Whole-Wheat Burrito-Size Tortillas to make enchiladas and the like, but personally I think they taste pukey with Mexican food. My daughter on the other hand, little California gringa that she is, will accept no other tortillas for her bean-cheese-tomato burrito on burrito night.

What I do is this… I buy the good old-fashioned peanut butter, you know, the kind you have to stir and refrigerate not the crap with the hydrogenated oils in it. I spread a thin-ish layer of peanut butter on one of those Mission Brand Whole-Wheat Burrito-Size Tortillas and then give it a similar layer of honey. Then roll it up tight like a taquito that's almost the size of a churro and you've got the Best Breakfast Ever. Follow it with a good piece of fruit to get the peanut buttery stickiness out of your mouth and you're good to go!

I am being very specific here about the Mission Brand Whole-Wheat Burrito-Size Tortilla because you can accept no substitutes. The fajita-size tortillas of the same brand are much smaller, and therefore have considerably fewer grams of fiber. And I've yet to find any other brand's whole-wheat burrito-size to measure up. I think the closest I found was 14 grams of fiber, which is admirable, but not as remarkable as the great and wonderful Mission Brand Whole-Wheat Burrito-Size Tortilla.

Now go and spread the word!

.::.

This here little blog post has made it's home on each of the blogs I've had. THAT'S HOW SERIOUS I AM PEOPLE. I have not received a single cent from Mission, nor do I expect to.

4 comments:

All This Trouble... said...

Now, if I can only figure out a way to hide some fruits and veggies in it AND get my little ones to eat it, I'll be set!

All This Trouble... said...

Damn! You ARE serious. You linked TWICE to this post.

Fiber! It could possibly save the world one day.

WV: cowrant

Steph said...

Oh yes, Ms. Trouble, I am very serious about these tortillas. :)

Steph said...

Like, if you can't find them where you live, I'll mail you some.