Monday, December 15, 2008

Rain, Rain Go Away

It’s raining. A LOT. This is likely insignificant to a good portion of the world but here in Southern California it happens rarely enough that I could not find my umbrella. Okay, maybe that just proves I’m a slob more than it proves how rarely it rains, but nonetheless, it’s raining, a lot, and has been all night and morning. What the hell?

The dirt road we live on turns into a river of mud in the rain, so I’m over it already. I try to find a positive angle and the best I can come up with is that at least I won’t have to water the trees for a few days. It only occurred to me a few years ago that it’s odd that I live in a place where trees only live long and prosper if they are tended by humans. If a tree dies, it usually means the property owner has left and stopped watering it. When my aunt in Montana said something about a tree in her backyard dying because it had exhausted its life expectancy (she didn’t use those exact words), the concept all but knocked me over. A tree could die of old age.

But back to the rain... Like I said, it doesn’t happen a hell of a lot around here. In fact in Austin’s 2.5 years of life it has probably only rained a handful of times. This morning on the way to school/work he was saying things like “there’s water EVERYWHERE!” and “Sun, where ARE you?” The second being very sing-songy and adorable.

1 comment:

Cat said...

What a strange thing that must be for him. And you! Hang in there and dry out.