Tuesday, October 21, 2008

To File or Not to File

In my first Poverty Party post I mentioned that my husband and I may [have to] decide to file for bankruptcy. The need to make a decision is pressing down upon us more and more every day.

Without getting into specifics of my income and the amounts of my bills, the remainder of said income after all the bills that should be paid are paid is $220.00. The operative word in that sentence is “should.” I juggle which bills to pay each month in order to hang onto about $1000 for groceries and gas during the month. Whether that is enough for a month's worth of food and gas for a family of 4 is another conversation all together. I have a unique living arrangement that allows me, when absolutely necessary, to skip my rent. However this is not a good long term solution and is terribly unfair to my landlord.

So, it looks like the decision is to file for bankruptcy. Now to look for a lawyer.

4 comments:

BOSSY said...

Oy, Bossy doesn't even know what to say. The only thing that Bossy is kind of learning is that these days, bankruptcy can mean many different things. Shop for your brand of bankruptcy carefully!

Maggie May said...

i hear you. i need to file for medical bankrupcy and haven't been able to afford to hire the attorney.
i hope you find the perfect 'type' of bankrupcy best for your situation, i know it's so hard to be that broke. i hope things get better for you soon, and you are finding ways to lighten your spirit meanwhile. :)

My Name is Cat said...

I'm really sorry to hear things are so bad for you right now. I hope for the best for you.

NannyGarcia said...

Oooooh. One of my friends just filed for bankruptcy. But I can show you how to steal internet and cable, if that helps. It's pretty much what I do.