Monday, October 6, 2008

A Time for Everything

My father-in-law, Don, passed away at 1:20 AM on October 4 at 77 years old. He is survived by his wife, three children, five grandchildren, three great-grandchildren, and their respective spouses.

I've been asked to speak at the funeral. Here's draft one. Imagine it in my best Tina Fey as Sarah Palin voice.

This man, who I have the privilege to call my father in law,
This man could teach a MULE a thing or two about stubborn.

He could teach a fish to drink and teach a sailor to swear.

He also taught us all about dedication. Honor. And Hard Work.

And when I say dedication and hard work, I mean when you break your pelvis or cut off your finger on the job, you don’t leave until someone is there to cover your post. Tough as nails? No, tough as Don.

He could fix just about anything around the house himself; and I’m personally grateful that he taught his son to do the same.

As a fellow Libra, he taught me that it’s okay to want what I want, the way I want it. Let it never be said that Don wasn’t particular.

He taught me to stand my ground, even when standing up to him.

He taught my children that they are loved no matter what. Even when they get into trouble.

He taught us that love and family can weather any storm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perfect.

Lori